Our Ferry!
Our view of the Mackinac bridge from the ferry ride.
When we landed on the island we felt like we had gone back in time, mainly because there are no cars aloud on the island. Our first activity was picking up a pair of bikes so we could get around. The cheap bikes were the cruisers with NO gears so we got a really good workout!
This is the main drag on the island, check out all the bikes lined up on the side...
We started off by biking around the island (only 8 miles). It was beautiful and we didn't see many people.
This is MI 85, the only highway in the state cars aren't around on. It took a little getting used to riding in the middle of the road.
Check out that perfect weather! Like my sister Nora, I struggle with "weather worry." I was completely addicted to weather.com the whole week before our trip. Well...they lie.....our weather was perfect!!!
We stopped to look at "Arch Rock",being from Utah, we weren't all that impressed, but we decided to hike to the top of it where it was a lot more grandiose!
This is Seth in front of the "Grand Hotel." It's pretty fancy and they claim to have the longest porch in the world. We were chased away shortly after this picture. They charge 10 bucks a person to go near their hotel if your not staying there.
A view of The Grand from the ferry ride...
After our bike ride we were exhausted and found delicious Mexican food, it's been so long.
Because we went so early in the season we could actually afford to stay on the island and our balcony overlooked the harbor!
Our View!
The next day we were able to bike over the island, which is hilly and heavily forested. We found our dream summer cottage overlooking the lake...
I loved all the funny warning signs pertaining to bikes...
We also found a very normal looking neighborhood that we didn't know it existed. We didn't see any other touristy people so I guess they probably have a bit peace. We stopped at a "snack shack" and met a great couple from Grand Rapids, Al and Louise. She asked if I had tried the deep fried pickle spears and when I said, no, she insited I try one of hers. I'm not one to turn down food so I dived in and....
It was delicious! She advised me before I took my first bite to make it "firm."
After we returned form our morning adventures we went to a butterfly house which kind of freaked me out. There was A LOT of butterflies zooming around everywhere.
We decided to next try out a tandem Bicycle. It's a lot harder than it looks but by the end we were pros!
Right before we got on the ferry to go home we had to get some famous Mackinac fudge. Next to the no car thing, Mackinac is known for it's fudge. In the end it wasn't very good, next time we'll go to a different fudge shop.
A huge thanks to Mandy and Eddie for caring for the kids, it was a great getaway!
14 comments:
wow that seriously looks like a neat place! I am glad you had fun!!
No cars? How do people move there? Carry funiture on their backs? Sounds like good times with perfect weather!
Fun! It makes me want to go back, it's been a long time--almost 5 years. How fun you got to stay on the island, what is the name of the restaurant with the yummy mexican food? I am taking my sisters this fall and we will want to try that out!
What a wonderful, beautiful trip!! Yea for bikes!!
So fun to see the pictures that go with the verbal update. I can't wait to go back, our kids will love it. I'll have to get some details from you. There actually is Mexican food in Michigan????
wow beautiful! Trip # 2 that I missed out on while in Michigan!
Crazy about that hotel. But how special would you feel if you actually got to stay there.
mexican, every street corner out here in texas.
What a fun way to celebrate your anniversary! Looks like fun. I'm not sure what we are doing for our 10th when Mikey gets home from Europe. Guess I'd better get going on that....
Absolutely beautiful! I am so happy for you! Thanks for posting those pictures, they're amazing! :)Happy Anniversary!
I'm so jealous. That is one place I wanted to visit before we left and we never were able to make it up there. Glad you had such a great time. Happy Anniversary.
Fun! I'm jealous!
Oh my gosh!! That really does look amazing. I am so glad you guys got to go! How fun!
Wow, that looks like so much fun. And when you buy your summer dream cottage, can we come visit? Happy anniversary!
Ok, I've gotta go to Mackinac Island! Great Pics Sharon! What a fun annaversary!
How fun! I love the pic of you and Seth with the lake in the background. Glad you had a great anniversary!
Post a Comment