Sunday, September 14, 2008

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!

Charlie and I read our first "real" chapter book together. A good friend had read "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" to her little girl, so we went for it.

Of course, Charlie loved it! What could be better than reading a book about a little boy who has your name and gets to go into a chocolate factory? He loved the silly songs the Oompa Loompas sang. It just so happened that the Henry Ford Museum had a "History of Chocolate" exhibit going on when we finished the book. Mandy and I took the boys (it was the last day) to go check it out and it was great!

(Charlie in a Chocolate Factory:)
Did you know over half the population of the Ivory Coast works in producing the cocoa bean but that the majority of them have never actually tasted the finished product of chocolate? They export it all! We all learned a lot and then sat on some comfy couches watching the show "Unwrapped" (this show alone could almost justify us a getting a better cable package, but not quite). We watched how they make conversation hearts, Andes Mints, and Hershey Kisses. I really could have watched all day. Of course we had to indulge ourselves in the Chocolate Cafe they set up just outside the exhibit. Really smart marketing...







8 comments:

Miss Deja said...

What a riot! You're such a fun theme mom! Read a book about chocolate and then a chocolate exhibit, bliss I tell you! :) Charlie and Matthew are lucky guys!

Hubers said...

That's awesome that you read all of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Charlie! It's also awesome that you have a good friend to help you out and do all these things and go to all these places. That's really awesome!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm... chocolate!

Tiffany said...

What a fun idea! I think I should read that book to Hunter, too. Although, I don't know if it will have the same effect, since his name isn't Charlie. But I must say, you sure played that one right--starting the first chapter book with a kid named Charlie--that was awesome!

Tara G. said...

That looked like a great exhibit! Your boys are getting so big, they are so handsome! Question for you, do you still have that bassinet? We will need it in March :) Thanks!Tara

Anonymous said...

Oh how fun! I bet Corbin would love that book. I think I'm going to steal your idea :).

Cordie said...

That looks like a fun time! Sorry we didn't come to the ward thing tonight. We had a long and stressful day, not to mention the kids couldn't have handled another minute of anything. I am so excited to see you again and it will be soon!

Rich and Nickie said...

Sharon..how are you? You look so great. I was excited to see you and your beautiful growing family. I hope you guys are doing well.