Monday, September 29, 2008

Why we LOVE living in Michigan!

Reason #45
RASPBERRY PICKING!

Yes, the glorious season of Raspberries has come around again and it lived up to expectations. We all went to pick as a family and it was great to see Charlie in on the action. If I hadn't eaten so much while I picked I might of had more to make into Jam but there is always next year:) We went to Makielski's Berry Farm which is owned by a cute older couple. I asked if I could write a check and she said, "I think so, we've had three bad checks in 57 years so I guess the odds are your good." I went on to try to assure her that my check was good, she cut me off and said "People Who Pick Berries are Nicer." She pointed behind her and sure enough there was a huge banner in the back of the garage with the saying on it. I thought about it the whole way home and decided there really are certain businesses that probably bring in a better crowd than others! We love Makielski's!





Matthew refused to eat any Raspberries but couldn't get enough of the dirt, a very peculiar palate.

Our evening was a huge success except that we were attacked with mosquitoes and didn't wear appropriate clothing. Other than that it was the perfect weather with the perfect people!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Sharon my friend my buddy! I just found your blog and wanted to say hi! Thanks for the good idea for things to do in Michigan....raspberry picking looks like fun!

Curt and Naomi said...

Oooh, if you have any raspberries left...i made a Peach raspberry crumble from Allrecipes.com. It was delicious.

Kim said...

That looks like so much fun. It really is hard to picture some criminal out picking berries.
They look delicious, and the boys look like they had a blast.

Hubers said...

Yeah, I've got to admit, the berries in Michigan are awesome. Hope you're having a great fall! Looks like you are;-)

Cordie said...

I want to pick berries! We are finally moving over there on Saturday! I am anxious to settle down there and meet some people.

jenae waters said...

Hey, I am so glad you found me. I miss all you guys. It looks like you had a lot of fun picking raspberries. They are by far my favorite! yummy. You have an adorable family. I wish we all lived close so I could see you.

The Simpson Family said...

What a great family activity, I hope you make it a traddition!

Eddie, Mandy, and baby boys said...

I'm sad I missed the raspberry picking. I miss you guys too and will see you in a couple weeks. Hi to Charlie and Matthew!

Tiffany said...

Fun!
Hey do you know anything about how to save your posts into a journal?
If you do, could you let me know about it?
Thanks!

Brooke said...

Raspberries have my vote for the best fruit ever! We froze ours and I've been putting them on my cereal every morning. Makes the whole world look better to start a day that way!