Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Bean X 2!



Seth and I got a taste of real parenting the other day. It was in the evening and Seth was at a meeting and I was home alone with the kids. Charlie had been playing with his bucket full of dry beans when I noticed his nose was running and it was tinted black. I glanced up his nose and didn't see anything but with the help of a flashlight I could tell something was really up there. I didn't really want to pay the $50 co-pay for the emergency so I called Dan Ward,who is in our ward, and who just so happens to be an ear, nose, and throat doctor. His wife told me he was in surgery but she would have him call me. He did and was nice enough to arrange for the ENT on call to just meet us at the front of the hospital. The clinic was all closed up but he led us around back into a room. He tried just sucking the bean out but it was to logged so he had to use some special tools. It was horrible because Charlie was creaming but they finally got the bean out. Then "Kevin" (how he introduced himself to us) announced there was another bean up there. I had had enough so I left the room and Seth stayed with Charlie until they got the second bean out. The good news was that instead of it taking 5 hours and costing $50 we were home in less than an hour and our kind doctor just said goodbye when he was done. Once again I have learned the lesson, it is not what you know, it is who you know. I'm so grateful for everyone who helped us out!

2 comments:

Miranda said...

Way to keep those parents on their toes, Charlie! Can't wait to see you all in July!

Missy said...

Charlie has a bucket of beans as toys? I have a box of toys going to the D.I...maybe I will hang onto those for poor Charlie.